How Do You Know If Your Roof Has Hail Damage?
Inclement weather is your roof's number one enemy.
Hail storms cost billions of dollars of property damage every year in the United States.
Many of these hail storms produce baseball-sized hail or even bigger.
But even hail that is much smaller can cause severe roof damage.
Even though hail sizes can vary, the damage they cause can be devastating.
But, some hail damage can be hard to spot, especially if you aren't sure what you're looking for.
If your roof has been damaged by hail, your home will be more vulnerable to roof leaks or rapid deterioration of shingles or other roofing materials.
Some signs of hail damage are fairly obvious, like a broken window or a dented car.
But the small, unnoticeable damage from a hail storm takes a trained eye to spot.
In the article below, we will discuss how to spot the signs of damage from hail on your roof.
Factor's That Affect Hail Damage
Several factors will affect the types of damage and the severity of the damage your roof sustains after a hail storm.
First is the wind. Wind speed and wind direction can vary.
Changes in wind conditions will affect the location and severity of hail impacts.
The size of the hailstones will also affect the degree of damage done to your roof and your property.
Hailstones can be as small as a pea or as big as s softball.
And, most hailstones have rough, jagged edges that impact the amount of damage they can cause.
The type and quality of your roof also play a large part in how much damage is sustained during a hail storm.
Different types of building materials will absorb hail impacts differently.
Hail can cause dings in aluminum siding, gutters, or asphalt shingles.
It can crack vinyl siding or wood shakes.
Softball-sized hailstones can be dense enough and strong enough to puncture a roof.
Additionally, the age and condition of a roof could affect the degree of damage.
What Does Hail Damage Look Like On Shingles?
Hail damage to shingles is either very obvious, or it's very difficult to find.
It will take a trained eye to spot hail damage to roof shingles more often than not.
The first thing to look out for is granule loss.
It may be hard to spot at first, but if surface granules have been knocked off of shingles, you've suffered hail damage.
A loss of granules may not seem like a big deal, but it takes a great deal of force to knock the surface materials off a shingle.
When you notice loose granules, the integrity of the shingle has already been compromised.
It would be very easy for a water leak to develop over time.
If you're able to climb onto your roof, mark the impact damage with chalk so you can determine if you need to make a call to a roofing contractor or put in a claim for hail damage.
If you decide to make an insurance claim, take a few pictures of the hail hits to show to the insurance companies when they come out to inspect the roof.
Roof Inspection from the Ground
Fortunately, if you aren't comfortable climbing onto your roof, you can do a roof inspection from the ground to survey this type of damage.
Damage to asphalt shingles can be hard to find, but there are a few things you can look out for:
- First, look for broken or loose shingles or shingle tabs that may have fallen off and landed in your yard. Unfortunately, hail is accompanied by high winds, so this isn't uncommon.
- Next, check under eaves or porches for signs of water leaking through your roof to external wood surfaces. Water damage could be a sign of old hail damage causing leaks through shingles.
- Another sign of hail damage is loose granules. Granules from asphalt roofing can break loose at the site of each hailstone impact. If there are asphalt granules in your gutters, you may have hail damage on your roof.
- Dents in the metal or cracks in the plastic roof vents typically mean your roof has suffered storm damage.
- You should also inspect the metal flashing around your chimney or vents and fascia for dents or dings. These are relatively easy to spot and a sure sign of damage.
- Cracked or broken glass in your skylights is a sure sign that your roof took a beating during the hail storm.
- Take a look for missing shingles or shingle tabs that may have blown off. If you found some on the ground in your yard, they were most likely yours.
- Hail hits on shingles may show subtle spots of granule displacement, bruises on shingle surfaces, or holes. Look for dark spots on shingle surfaces or dimpled areas.
- Shingles damaged by hail may experience curling or stress cracks over time. They will also age faster than healthy shingles.
Can Hail Damage To a Roof Be Repaired?
Depending on the extent of damage, repairing a hail-damaged roof can be as easy as fixing a shingle or as tricky as a total roof replacement.
Cosmetic damage isn't a difficult fix, but it needs to be fixed before it gets worse.
The vast difference in repair options is why everyone should have their roof inspected by a roofing expert after a big hailstorm.
An experienced roofer can quickly find impact marks on asphalt roofs, metal roofs, or any roof and determine the severity of the damage.
Many roofing companies offer free estimates, so you have nothing to lose by talking to a roofing contractor.
If you're not sure if you need roof repair after a hail storm, keep an eye out for watermarks and other damage that we talked about above.
If you find any signs of roof hail damage, like a dented gutter or damage to siding, it'll be in your best interest to consider a hail damage roof inspection.
It's easy to tell when severe roof damage has occurred but finding the mild damage before it becomes significant hail damage roof repairs are more important.
TK Roofing and Gutters
The roofers with TK Roofing and Gutters are experts at understanding how hail damage affects your property.
If you notice any signs of hail damage, you need to check it out as soon as possible.
Waiting too long to inspect and repair your roof could cause irreversible damage.
TK Roofing and Gutters has been serving their local Ohio Communities for years, and they can promptly repair your roof if you notice any damage after a major storm.
The expert roofers with TK Roofing and Gutters can fix any damaged areas you notice during a storm, and they'll make sure there aren't any other weak spots that could lead to damage in the future.
If you noticed roof damage during a storm, don't wait to get it repaired.
Contact TK Roofing and Gutters today for your free roofing estimate!