How Much Does A Roof Leak Repair Cost?
Maintaining the roof of your home should top the list of your priorities.
Your roof keeps your warm and dry and protects you from all of the elements.
The minute you ever spot water damage or any sign of water coming in through your roof, you need to take action right away.
If you don't, you may end up paying thousands of dollars to replace your entire roof as well as paying for the damage done to the inside of your home.
Roof leaks are always stressful situations.
You have to worry about the damage it's causing to the roof and the interior of your home, but you also have to worry about how much it will cost to repair it.
The cost to repair your roof leak will be base on things like your contractor’s overhead, the complexity of your roof (repairing a flat roof vs. a sloped roof will be much different), roof accessibility, roof pitch, and more.
To help relieve some of the stress about the price of your roof leak, our Roof Repair Contractors try to give you an idea of much you might pay to repair your roof in the article below.
A Roof Leak Could Need Several Repairs
When you start investigating your roof leak, you might run into several different repairs.
Roof leaks can cause several thousand dollars worth of damage, lead to mold and mildew, or even cause structural issues with your roof.
That's why it is so important to get any repair to roof leaks done as quickly as possible.
The causes of roof leaks could mean that a wide range of repairs will have to be made.
For example, a roof leak could be caused by strong winds damaging roof shingles, broken seals around skylights, chimneys, vent pipes leaking or failing, or gutters, valleys, and flashing leaks.
Low-pitched roofing often leads to leaks, ice dams can cause a leak, and falling debris damaging your roof can cause leaks.
Finding the leak is part of a roof leak repair cost because of the multitude of things that can cause them.
And finding the leak isn't always as easy as it seems.
Water travels quickly and it may take a significant time to find it.
And, the location of the leak in your home is not an indication of where the leak is on your roof.
Roof inspections are always part of the budget for a roof leak repair and should be done by professional roofing companies.
If you have an issue with your roof, it's important to get it checked out. Read more on why in our blog 7 Reasons not to delay getting your roof repaired.
Where To Find Roof Leaks
Since several things can cause roof leaks, it's important to know how to find a roof leak.
Roofs also come in many styles and are made of various materials, but there are common areas prone to leaks no matter what type of roof you have.
Below are a few common places you can check for leaks:
- Flashing: Roof leaks are often found in and around flashing, and flashing is one of the most common failure points on a roof. Repairing your flashing can cost between $10 to $20. The metal connecting vents and other ducts to your roof can age, corrode and crack. Your plumbing vents have rubber gaskets that can deteriorate in as little as ten years, so an expert roofer should inspect them regularly. Any gas appliances you have will probably have B-vents and use a metal storm collar to come loose and leak.
- Vertical Slits: Found between shingles, these slits are prone to corrosion. Water can get between the slits causing issues, particularly in the top three inches. A professional roofer will likely need to perform this roof repair to replace the corroded tiles. New tiles cost about $30 per bundle.
- Missing Granules: The stony surface of shingles, or granules, helps protect shingles from UV rays and typical wear and tear. Your granules can wear off over time, so if you notice bare patches on your shingles, have them replaced by your local roofing contractor. New shingles average about $30 per bundle.
Potential Costs Of A Roof Repair
Here is a quick down of the potential costs of a leaky roof.
- Roofing Materials. These are the materials a roofing professional will add to the cost of the job. Depending on the type of repair, your roofer will usually need plywood that runs about $20 per sheet to fix a roof leak. They will also need shingles to cover the area, which will cost about $100 per standard square (A roofing square is 100 square foot of the roof). Asphalt shingles are usually the cheapest. Then you need things like nails, nail guns, and roof cement.
- Labor. The labor needed to complete the job is always included in the cost, and it is usually the most expensive part of the roof repair cost. Professional roofers can make between $45 to $75 per hour. Many jobs will need a team of roofers that work together to get the job done.
- Miscellaneous Costs. If the leak in your roof damaged underneath the shingles and sheathing, you will need to include the additional costs to replace the damaged wood and upgrade your home’s structure. The total cost of roof repair depends on the area in question and the severity of the damage. If your roof needs flashing repair, you could pay up to $500. For roof flashing in valleys, you'll pay between $15 and $25 per foot. Flashing around your chimney will cost approximately $200 to $500.
How to Fix Common Causes of Leaks
Roof repair should generally be left to the roofing experts, but there are a few common repairs you can try if you consider yourself handy.
To fix your flashing, pry up the material and remove the nails.
Then nail in a new strip and reseal.
If your asphalt shingle roof is missing shingles or has any broken shingles, you need to make a quick repair.
Lift the shingle with a pry bar until the nails holding it pop out.
Then, gently remove nails and damaged shingles. Replace it with a new shingle and nail it in place.
Your vent booting is a gasket used to seal a roof vent.
If you have damaged vent booting, cut away the old boot with a knife.
Install the new boot over the vent and under the shingles.
Secure with nails and seal it with caulk.
Ice dams can hold snow to asphalt roofs.
The weight of the snow can cause damage, including roof leaks.
Use a roof rake to remove the first four feet of snow from the edge of your roof.
You can use a product to melt the ice after that, and you should consider purchasing a roof heat cable to prevent future issues.
A leaking skylight can cause extensive water damage and should be repaired immediately.
If you have a leaky skylight, clean off debris and repair cracks with clear silicone sealant.
A clogged gutter can also cause water to pool up.
Make sure they stay clean to prevent a potential leak from forming.
Need A Roof Leak Repaired? Contact TK Roofing and Gutters
This article should give you a basic idea of how much a roof repair will cost.
Just remember, though, that there is no average cost of a repair, and the cost of your roof leak repair will depend on your unique situation.
If you notice a roof leak or roof damage that may cause a leak, it's important to get it fixed as soon as possible to prevent it from turning into a bigger problem.
If you're ready to have your roof fixed, it's time to look for local roof repair.
Finding quality roofers to work with will ave you money, especially in the long run, because they will do the job right the first time.
The team at TK Roofing and Gutters has been fixing roof leaks in Ohio for years and has extended the lives of countless roofs.
They can fix any damaged areas you've noticed and they'll check for other weak spots to prevent future leaks.
Contact TK Roofing and Gutters today for your free roofing estimate!