What You Should Know About Apartment Complex Roof Repairs
Does the roof of your apartment complex look like it's in dire need of repair?
Most apartment complexes are roofed with asphalt shingles, which are great for sloped roofs.
However, these roofing materials require upkeep and don't last forever.
Aging materials, poor shingle quality, improperly installed roofing systems, and other factors can all cause leaks, degradation, and roof failure in this type of roof.
And as an apartment manager, we know that is the last thing you need to worry about.
When roofs start to leak often or approach the end of their useful life, you should look for a professional roofing company to help you repair or replace your apartment roof.
But until then, you should know a few things about the roofs in your apartment complex.
Signs Of Wear And Tear On Your Apartment Roof
- Deterioration of granules: The loss of granular texture on the roof of your apartment is a crucial indicator of its age. The less granules on the roof, the older it is. Missing granules also make it look less appealing from the ground.
- Tar streaking: The black streaks you've probably noticed on a roof or two are actually algae. The algae will eventually cause damage to your shingle roof if it isn't taken care of.
- Missing shingles: Missing shingles lead to leaks and additional damage to the rest of the roof structure.
- Curled or buckled shingles: Shingles will begin to buckle or curl as they age. After a while, they will become brittle and break.
- Moisture and mold: Green vegetation often indicates trapped moisture. That could lead to future damage to the entire roof.
- Ice dams or icicles: Icicles or ice dams on your gutters will impede drainage off the roof. This can lead to significant water damage.
- Leaky roof: Consistent or intermittent roof leaks from your chimney or vents could mean there's water seeping through the roof.
- High energy bills: If your tenants complain about unusually high energy bills, it could mean your roof is poorly insulated.
If any of these signs are present on your apartment building roof, you should consider commercial roof repair or replacement.
Sometimes the signs are not always 100% clear, so if you suspect there may be damage, have it checked out by a local roofing company.
Catching an issue early could be the difference between a simple repair or a complete commercial roof replacement.
Help Your Apartment Roof Last As Long As Possible
As a property manager, your main priority is your residents.
Your job is to ensure that they are safe and have a well-maintained living space.
A big part of that is keeping a functioning roof over their heads.
To help your commercial roof last as long as possible, here are a few tips you can try as a property manager:
Clean Your Roof Once A Year
When you clean the surfaces of your roof, you ensure that water drainage remains smooth.
Ensure that areas where water flow is typical are cleaned regularly to ensure no blockages or hindrances exist.
Cleaning your apartment roof surfaces can easily extend the life of your roof.
Maintain Your Roof Flashing
Any time your roof flashing is damaged, it almost always spells trouble.
Storms and strong winds are some of the biggest culprits regarding damaged roof flashing.
Your roof flashing is often when water leakage begins
The metal strips that seal around chimneys and roof edges are critical in maintaining a strong and functioning roof.
To avoid a complete apartment roof replacement, you should immediately consider minor repairs.
This is one of the best things you can do as a property manager or apartment complex owner.
Check For Wear And Tear
Keep an eye out for wear and tear on the roof of your rental property.
You know you have a roof problem if you see a curled shingle or missing shingles.
These are clear signs that your apartment roof needs immediate attention.
But the signs aren't always so clear.
If you suspect there may be damage, have the apartment roof inspected by a roofing professional.
There's no reason to let a potential problem get worse.
Regular roof inspections are a great way to avoid unforeseen roof problems that could cost you thousands.
Inspect Your Roof After Storms
Whenever you have severe weather, there's the potential that roof damage will occur.
That's why you should have your apartment roof inspected if you experience hail or winds that accompany intense storms.
Leaks are obvious signs of roof damage after storms, but not all signs are always so obvious.
Getting skilled roofing contractors to evaluate your roof is the only way to know what type of damage your roof may have sustained after a storm.
Just don't wait too long.
If you do, you might end up with more damage to your roof after the next storm comes through.
That's a situation apartment building owners do not want to be in.
Explain The Reroofing Process To Tenants
There is a level of detail involved in a commercial reroofing project that most people do not understand, even repairs to minor issues.
That misunderstanding can lead to confusion.
Your tenants don't need to know the specifics of what you're doing.
But they need to know how the roof replacement will affect them and their daily routine.
Before taking on a roofing project, answer a few critical questions for your tenants, including:
- How long will the reroofing project take?
- When will it begin and end?
- Should they expect noise, smells, or debris?
- Where will the roof be accessed?
- Will there be equipment on the premises?
- Will the parking lot be accessible or restricted?
- Will areas inside of the building be inaccessible?
- Will areas inside the building get extra dirty or dusty?
- Will the HVAC system have to be turned off?
As a property manager, you will communicate directly with the roofing contractor so that you can convey information directly to your tenants.
Contact TK Roofing And Gutters
We know you've got a lot on your plate as a property manager, so you need one of the most experienced apartment roofing contractors if you notice any issues.
At TK Roofing and Gutters, our team is here to ensure you get the best multi-home roofing solution.
Whether you require a new roof due to storm damage, leaking, or need to update your roof, we can handle your entire apartment roof installation.
With our customer services focus and the ability to offer transferrable 50-year warranties, we ensure that you are covered.
Whether it's a duplex, triplex, townhome, apartment complex, or condo, we are the apartment roofing contractors that can give you the roofing solution you need.
Click on the link below to set up your Free Estimate with our multi-home roofing contractors.